Monday, October 15, 2012

An Apple a Day... #37 and 38

So, I've decided to go ahead and repost Robot here anyway. However, I think it'll be done in double posts. This serves two purposes: First, it allows me to quickly catch up with the District run of Robot and, Second, this layout will be more reminiscent of what Robot would look like if it were physically published. Below the comics, I've added a short write up about the story of Robot and and the general concept behind it that I wrote when I began retrofitting these comics to storyboards for an animatic. (Hey, if I'm going to redo past blog postings, I may as well add a little extra content.)

Robot: The Animation is dead in the water at this point, but the story and concept write up still apply to the comic. Well, enough of my blabbering. Onward, to the comic:

Robot
Parts I and II

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Story
The sudden arrival of a robot in the woods shakes a community to its roots. Told in three acts, the story follows the exploits of a Edward, a well-meaning, albeit annoying, yogurt tuft, as he tries to convince his friend, Apple, an apple, that he has been accosted by a robot. When the two hapless heroes go investigate Edward’s claims, the robot is nowhere to be seen, lending justification to Apple’s belief that Edward was simply messing around. The truth is revealed in a news broadcast vindicating Edward’s claims, forcing Apple to eat his words. Whilst Edward gloats, the Robot continues his reign of terror, with seemingly no end in sight. By the end of the first part, it is clear that something must be done about this menace and the universe has chosen Edward to be its savior. 

Okay, I’m finished kidding around.  Honestly, the above synopsis is way more serious than this story demands. In short, this is a stupid story about two friends, a robot, and the misunderstandings that come with being different in a town full of 1950’s McCarthy-era views on society and how different and exotic beings are probably evil and therefore, threaten the established norm.

Concept
This story arc is a direct continuation of a comic series I started roughly two years ago called, An Apple a Day…  As its name suggests, it follows the exploits of an Apple and his friends as they live their lives to the best of their ability. Originally conceived to be a daily comic strip, my laziness got the best of me and the comics have become more weekly based. Recently, I’ve crafted multi comic story arcs, beginning with a story called, The Bet. I won’t go into detail but, suffice it to say, I then crafted a sequel to the story called, Moustache, that, if one could believe it, was even dumber than the previous tale. Robot, is the third story in this arc (despite the fact that I have been working on a robot-themed story since the genesis of the comic two years ago).  

The three stories play together as a loose trilogy of events. The Bet is a tale of Love, Moustache is a tale of Envy, and Robot is a tale of Woe. The Woe part applies to the robot, who, despite his “menacing” appearance and societal perception, only wants to be accepted and loved. Unfortunately, society is not ready for him.

No comments: